Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rain rain rain 7/20

I drove with Freddy to my third Kermesse in Kersken. It was sunny and warm when we arrived and I decided to put on some sunscreen. By the start of the race, it was dark, cold and drizzly. In the first 50 meters, the drizzle turned into a downpour. This was going to be a race.


I felt ok during the race but it was kind of hard to tell what was going on because the number of the riders and the low visibility and the technicality of the course. It started out in a village, went along wide city streets and then cut into narrow, one lane farm roads; it was actually pretty cool. I got a pretty good sense of what was going on in the race every time we road by the announcer's booth when he would announce the gaps. For the most part, I understood what he was saying, probably due to the dutch dialect. 

Back home I'm thankful to be able to carpool to the race. Here, everyone has a pre race massage!
Anyways, by the last four laps, my group was down to about 20 riders, plus the riders up the road. I kept looking behind me and only saw the official vehicle and ambulance, which meant that we were the main group on the road. I ended up getting 19th out of about 60 riders, which was good enough for the money again. YAY!  Anyways, it was a pretty hard race and only about 25 riders finished the entire 120K. It was pretty cool-at the end I heard the announcer say my name and something like  "....martinez....a'mérica...."


Also, later on Matias, my housemate from Spain, arrived. He is a pretty nice guy and it's nice to have someone to talk to my age. He also speaks English, as well as French and Spanish. He is also the one who helped convince me to start a blog. He also likes to go out, which we both agree on, is a necessary break from the stress and intensity that goes along with bike racing.  Is there anything Matias can't do? Break his post-ride meal habit of pasta and chicken. Every. Single. Day. Yes, I speak only the truth. 

Ah, Belgium Beer. 

I'm sure we'll have some more of that when the season is done. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment