Sunday, September 18, 2011

And the hits just keep on coming!

So much to tell. So much inappropriate content.

Two sentences pretty much suffice.

Well, I am exaggerating, but right now, and in the moment, it seems like unprecedented overload.

For anyone who reads this blog and has any desire for the unknown, uncharted territory, or any whiff of enthusiasm to discover new experiences, boundaries(or the pure destruction of boundaries), pushing the envelope, physically and mentally, a trip to Belgium might fit the bill.


 Anyways, sticking to the Internet version of this recollection, here it goes:

Today, I had the hometown Kermesse in Ottignies- the village I am living in. I had a little bit extra motivation for this race as it is basically " a hometown race". I ride on the same roads almost every day when I come back from a ride. Moreover, it wasn't pancake flat like the past couple of races; it actually had a few hills and some pretty strong kickers. Good vibes.

I felt good before the race and during the race- a good sign. Then, about 6 laps into the race- CLACK!
It definitely came from my bike; no mistaking that. But what was it? I checked my bike best I could, all while going 30mph downhill and through roundabouts. For the most part, it seemed okay. I continued on.  Then with about 2 laps to go, a rider came up to me and said that my wheel was going "like this- side to side". Shit. I looked down again and noticed my rear wheel hobbling all over the place. It doesn't necessarily help when you have rubbing breaks to worry about. In fact, it fucks up your entire conscious.

"No wonder why my legs hurt. "
"Ahh, this hill hurts pretty bad; other riders probably didn't have rubbing break pads for 90 km".
" Maybe it's not rubbing the breaks that bad"

And the list goes on and on.

I tried to push any notion of my wheel out of my mind as best I could but it was difficult to say the least.

Luckily, only 2 laps remained when I discovered this so I decided to ride it out.

Oh yeah, it was pissing rain and 10 degrees C, which I guess doesn't seem that cold back in California. But, if you add in the rain and wind, it was pretty terrible the last 3 laps.

After the race, the wheel wouldn't make 2 full rotations. And, adding insult to injury, I missed out on the money by two places.

As for the "other" aspects of the race. Let's just say, when we sit down for a beer in a month or two, I will be happy to divulge numerous volumes of anecdotes that continue to "push" the envelope. But hey, all the more rich the experience.

Past two weeks: 2 broken spokes; 1 cracked stem; 1 broken barring; 1 new chain.

However, in the past two weeks, I got to see one of the most interesting and moving places I've been to on this trip; it fits right up there with Normandy last year. I had the opportunity to visit Bastogne in the south of Belgium and it did not disappoint. I'm a huge fan of Band of Brothers and am interested in pretty much anything that involves World War II. For those of you who have seen BOB, recall the two episodes that take place in Bastonge and the perpetual bombardment in the Ardennes. Well, I went there and it was pretty surreal. To see the Bois Jacques up close and picturing the real thing taking place 70 years ago right where I was standing, and everything that was depicted in Band of Brothers and other WWII movies-all of it was very moving.

View from where Easy Company was positioned in the Bois Jacques right above the town of Foy



Pretty much says it all.


Fitting that I saw all of that before the past two weeks of my own "war".  However, just like Easy Company, I feel like things will start to come around, the sky will clear up, and better days are ahead. But like I've said before, the good, as well as the bad days, are what make this journey so thrilling. And it takes a lot more than two sentences and volumes to even attempt to capture the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment